Enjoy the Holidays Without Guilt

21 Nov Enjoy the Holidays Without Guilt

The holiday season is upon us. From now until the new year, you will probably have many festive gatherings full of yummy, mouthwatering treats and family delicacies. Unfortunately, this can lead to annual weight gain, of which 51% occurs during the last six weeks of the year, according to the USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging.

I am not a fan of deprivation. Often, when you think you “can’t” eat something, ALL YOU THINK ABOUT is that food! You wake up in the morning and only want that food. You dream about eating that food and totally obsess over it. So, in my experience, deprivation isn’t sustainable for the long-term. Instead, truly savor your temptations, without too much over-indulging.

Instead of stressing about it, follow the 80/20 rule when it comes to your dietary choices. Simply put, that means eating healthy foods 80% of the time, and saving your indulgences for the other 20%.

Here are some quick tips to help you maintain during the holidays, so you don’t need to struggle to release weight in the new year!

  1. Choose your indulgences wisely: Think about which indulges are truly worth it. If your Aunt Jean makes the best apple pie with homemade ice cream, that might be worth the splurge. If you are at a party and someone brought store bought brownies, maybe that’s not worth it.
  2. Don’t skip meals: If you know you are going to a party in the evening, it’s important to eat healthfully before hand. Make sure all your meals and snacks contain protein, healthy fat and fiber to keep you satiated. Why not have some carrots and hummus before you head out, to keep you from over consuming due to extreme hunger.
  3. Alternate water with your alcoholic beverages: If you are consuming alcohol, it makes your body more dehydrated. That’s one of the reasons you may have a headache the next morning. To keep the hangover away, alternate water before and after an alcoholic beverage. Start the party with a sparkling water with lemon, before your first glass of wine, and have another glass of water before choosing your second glass of wine! This will also help you to make better food choices, as alcohol can cause you to let your guard down!
  4. Move your body: Schedule your workouts in your calendar, so they aren’t missed. Find opportunities to move your body and walk. Why not encourage your colleagues or family to walk after a meal. That helps your body with digestion as well.
  5. Check out all the offerings before choosing: See what all the options are before you start putting food on your plate. This is particularly important when it comes to all you can eat buffets or family style gatherings. This way, you can choose which indulgences are worth the 20% splurge.
  6. Crowd in vegetables: If you fill 50% of your plate with vegetables, it provides a variety of nutrients to your body. This helps to satiate you and reduce your hunger. This leaves less room for the more processed junk food and sweets, which are created so “you can’t just eat one”!

The most important part of the holidays is to be present and enjoy your family and friends. This is a time to be thankful for all of your blessing and show appreciation to those around you. If possible, try and enter your Thanksgiving celebration with a new perspective – rather than thinking about the events from the past. It’s time to celebrate and give thanks, not dwell on the past.

Looking for a great recipe to add to your Thanksgiving table that is both healthy and simple?

Try my Roasted Dijon Brussel Sprouts!  With a 15 min prep, you can enjoy big flavors with very little effort.

Black Friday Reset Special! 

Want to keep yourself accountable this holiday season?  Join the next Effortless 3 Day Reset! Using the reset to check in between Thanksgiving and Christmas is the perfect way tot make sure you stay on track with your health goals and continue feeling great through the holidays and beyond. The next program starts Tuesday, December 12th.

It’s amazing what past participants have achieved. Check out the latest update from one of our regular participants to see what you can achieve through this short, guided program:

“I have done the Reset Program for the past three months and I’ve lost 16 pounds in total. My swelling and inflammation are down, my chronic symptoms have subsided and I’m eating and feeling much better. I can’t wait to join the next reset to keep moving forward. I highly recommend working 1:1 with Elizabeth and doing the Effortless 3-Day Reset!”

It’s time to start listening to your body and learning how you can improve your health and well-being! Claim these savings before they are on – last chance for this deal is on Monday, November 27th with the Black Friday Special.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.