20 Feb Simple ways to reduce stress
Stress is all around us and it doesn’t appear to be going away any time soon. Some experts believe that at least 90% of all diseases are exacerbated by stress. When you are under stress, your body releases a slew of hormones to prepare for the potential emergency. This means your body is constantly in the ‘fight or flight’ mode, which leaves you more susceptible to illness. The effects of day to day stress are cumulative, so it’s critical to reduce stress to keep your body functioning at it’s best and to stay healthy.
There are many different ways to manage stress, but what is most effective, is what works for YOU! Here are a few simple, free (or cost effective) tools my clients use to reduce stress and keep you at your best each day:
1) Start your day healthy with a balanced breakfast that includes protein, healthy fat and fiber, like an egg and spinach wrap or a green smoothie to give you energy and fuel your body
2) Give gratitude for 3 things when you wake up each morning so you start your day with a positive mindset and set a positive intention for the day
3) Practice deep breathing – simple breathing exercises like square breathing (in, hold, out, hold – all for 4 seconds each for 1-2 minutes) can calm your nervous system and reduce the stress hormone cortisol, which helps you respond rather than react to stressful situations
4) Take breaks between tasks – get up and move your body and enjoy nature, if possible – even if it’s only for 5-10 minutes at a time
5) Listen to music – music has been proven to reduce cortisol and provide both psychological and physiological relaxation. It also reduces stress and anxiety and can promote healing
There are many different tools, but these are simple, free ways to manage and reduce stress that only take a few minutes.
Please comment below and let me know which tools you use to reduce stress.