18 Nov Taming Your Cravings
Halloween Aftermath: Your Gut
Halloween is over, but the holiday food indulgences are just beginning! Several of you have mentioned your sugar cravings are out of control from too much Halloween candy. If this sounds like you, add fermented foods into your diet to help balance your gut microbiome. Fermented foods include kombucha, sauerkraut, kefir, kimchi to name a few. These foods are filled with good bacteria that help balance your gut bacteria and in turn, reduce cravings. Add one of these fermented foods into your diet this week and replenish the good bacteria in your gut.
Another way to boost your good gut bacteria is to take a probiotic. An effective brand my clients use, that’s easy on the wallet, is PB8, which provides both prebiotic and probiotic benefits.
Food Swaps for Popular Cravings…
Food swaps also help to combat sugar cravings. Why not trade out these less healthy foods with more beneficial ones?
If you’re craving potato chips… Try some raw carrot or celery sticks instead for that crunch. Or if you need that ‘cracker’ crunch, try Marys Gone Crackers, crispy, organic, gluten-free whole grain crackers with no added inflammatory oils or fats.
If you’re craving soda… Try a Perrier or San Pellegrino water with a lemon, lime or orange slice or some sparkling water such as La Croix. There are so many flavors to choose from; you’re bound to find one you love — and you can finally ditch that soda!
If you’re craving a milkshake… Try a green smoothie instead with raw cacao or 100% cocoa powder for a chocolate treat to quench your desire for something decadent, creamy and sweet.
Another helpful tip is to indulge mindfully. When you have a treat, savor each and every bite. Remember, the first three bites are always the best. If you eat them slowly enough, you might not need any more!
Local NJ Offers
Easy Thanksgiving Dinner
- Overwhelmed with the thought of preparing Thanksgiving dinner?
- Want to reduce the stress, yet still eat a homemade, delicious and nutritious meal?
- Need a last minute healthy option, delivered to your door?
- Order a roasted turkey breast meal for 1, 2, 4 or more and round it out with holiday sides for an easy, gourmet freshly prepared dinner.
- Order homemade, freshly prepared, yummy and allergen friendly sides to accompany your turkey, including:
- Various types of gourmet potatoes
- Gluten-free cornbread stuffing
- Yummy vegetables
- Cranberries with a twist, and more.
Thank you for your continued support over the years and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!